The Khan Market Metro Station was opened with the first section of the Violet Line on October 3, 2010 in time for the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony the same day. It is situated right next to Khan Market, one of the most expensive shopping markets in the world.
Established in 1951, Khan Market has been named in the honour of freedom fighter Khan Abdul Jabbar Khan, the brother of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan who was also known as Frontier Gandhi. The first group of migrant traders who set up shops in the market named it Khan Market in appreciation of his efforts in helping them migrate to India safely during the Partition.
The U-shaped, double-storey market complex originally had 154 shops and 74 flats on the first floor for shopkeepers to stay. In 2007, Khan Market was ranked as the most expensive retail location in India. In 2019, it was rated as the world’s 20th most expensive retail high street by real estate firm. Most of these shops were allocated as seed land to immigrants from the North West Frontier Province after the Partition of India.
Right next to Khan Market is Sujan Singh Park, the first apartment complex in New Delhi. Built in 1945, and designed by Walter Sykes George, it is named after the grandfather of author Khushwant Singh. George also designed the Ambassador Hotel next door which was also built in 1945 in a mix of British and Art Deco style.