How Chawri Bazar Station got its name?
Located on the Yellow Line of the Delhi Metro, Chawri Bazar is an underground station and was inaugurated on July 3, 2005 as part of the Kashmere Gate-Central Secretariat corridor.
Chawri Bazar was established in 1840 as a hardware market. It was, in fact, the first wholesale market of Old Delhi. It lies to the west of Jama Masjid in Delhi. It was once known for its dancing girls and courtesans in the 19th century, the area was frequented by nobility and rich alike. After the Britishers arrived, the tawaif culture faded out. Subsequently, prostitutes came to occupy the upper floors of the market but were removed by the municipal corporation of Delhi.
The street is named after Marathi word Chawri meaning meeting place. The street got this name mainly because a sabha or meeting took place in front of a noble’s house and he would try settling disputes before it would reach the emperor. Another reason is probably that a gathering was organised when a respected dancer performed.
Today, Chawri Bazar is one of the busiest roads in the city with labourers with their laden backs, cars, rickshaws, scooters and pedestrians battle for every inch of space to walk, especially during peak hours. At present, Chawri Bazar is more known as a wholesale market of paper products — from wedding cards to wallpapers to any type of paper required for any use, everything is available here.