Skin problems can occur due to many reasons, like seasonal conditions, hormonal imbalances, allergic reactions to food, medicines cosmetics, etc., or due to fungal conditions, or conditions like eczema, dermatitis, etc.
Skin rashes are actually very common, like heat rashes, prickly heat, allergies and so on. When the skin is oily and sweaty, pollutants tend to stay on the skin, leading to eruptive conditions like rashes.
Tips that will help rashes:
- Mix a little rose water with sandalwood paste and apply on the rashy areas. Wash off with plain water after 15 minutes.
- For rashes that itch, add one tablespoon vinegar to a mug of water and pour it on the affected body area. It helps to relieve skin itching.
- Take a handful of neem leaves and simmer on very low fire in 4 cups of water for one hour. Leave overnight. Next morning, strain and use the water to wash areas with rash. Make a paste of the leaves and apply on the face.
- Acne: Acne is one of the most common skin conditions. Acne occurs mainly on oily skin and starts with a blackhead. Avoid neglecting blackheads, as they can develop into acne.
Tips that will help acne
- After cleansing, apply an astringent lotion.
- Green Tea has an astringent effect and helps to reduce oiliness. Soak green tea leaves or a tea bag in hot water for half an hour. Cool and strain. Apply the liquid on the skin.
- Sandalwood paste applied on the acne eruptions also helps.
- Mix together one teaspoon cinnamon (dalchini) powder, half teaspoon methi seed powder, lemon juice and a few drops of honey. It should be a sticky paste. Apply it only on pimples or acne and leave on for a couple of hours, or even overnight.
- Add 2 drops of Tea Tree Oil to two tablespoons of water or rose water. Apply this on eruptive conditions.
In dry skins, the oil-producing glands are less active. Less secretion of oil means that the skin cannot hold enough moisture. Therefore dry skins lack both oil and moisture. Daily and appropriate care is essential.
Tips that will help dryness:
- Cleanse the face twice a day with a cleansing cream or gel, containing aloe vera, which helps to check moisture loss and also rehydrates the skin.
- Protect the skin from moisture loss during the day. Apply a sunscreen, before going out in the sun. Most sunscreens have built-in moisturizers.
- Keep the skin well moisturised. Moisturizers are available in cream and liquid form. For extreme dryness, use a cream. A liquid moisturizer should also be used under make-up.
- To a tablespoon of cold milk add 2 drops of any vegetable oil (olive, or til or sunflower oil). Dip cotton wool in it and wipe the skin. Make this for 2 or 3 days, but keep it in the refrigerator.
- Mix half a teaspoon honey, one teaspoon rose water and one teaspoon dried milk powder. Mix into a paste and apply on the face. Remove after 20 minutes with water.
- Applying honey or aloe vera gel on the face also helps to moisturise the skin and improve moisture retention.
For all skin conditions, pay special attention to your diet. Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. Add the juice of a lemon to a glass of warm water and have it first thing in the morning. Include fresh fruits, raw salads, sprouts, whole grains and curd in your daily diet.