Among the many plant ingredients in use today, aloe vera is one of the most versatile ones. It is commonly found in many gardens and homes. In fact, it grows easily in pots. Aloe vera has been known for its healing properties since ancient times. Containing zinc which has a healing effect, it was used to heal cuts, wounds and burns. It has been used in the treatment of acne and acne scars. Aloe vera is a powerful natural moisturiser and prevents loss of moisture. It softens dead skin cells and helps their removal, leaving the skin smoother and brighter. In acne conditions, the skin suffers from superficial dryness. That is why aloe vera helps get rid of acne and pimples, by moisturising the skin and relieving dryness. It also heals acne, due to its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
You can buy aloe vera gel or obtain it from the plant at home. The gel obtained from the plant itself is the leaf pulp, found in the inner portion of the leaves. The aloe juice is found just beneath the outer skin of the leaves. However, while using it directly on the skin at home, one should wash the plant well and observe total hygiene.
- Aloe vera gel or juice may be applied on the face and then washed off with plain water after 20 minutes. It helps to moisturise oily skin without making it oily.
- Take one tablespoon besan, one teaspoon each orange peel powder and curd and one tablespoon aloe vera gel. Mix together and apply on the skin, washing it off after 30 minutes.
- Mix one teaspoon aloe vera gel with 2 tsp rose water and 3 tsp multani mitti. Mix into a paste and apply on the face. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
- If there is redness on the skin due to acne, or the eruptions are reddish, apply aloe vera gel daily on the face, washing off with plain water after 20 minutes. It also soothes irritation.
- If there are spots on the face, apply aloe vera gel on the spots and leave on overnight. Wash the face next morning.
- Mix 1 level teaspoon cinnamon (dalchini) powder with one teaspoon each honey and aloe vera gel into a paste. Apply on the face and leave on overnight Wash face the next morning.